As you set goals for 2018, the Pool Safely campaign asks you to make water safety a New Year’s resolution! Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death among children ages 1 to 4, and drownings send an average of 5,900 children younger than 15 years of age to the emergency room each year. Practicing simple water safety steps can help keep your family safer around water. Not sure where to begin? Start with these steps:
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water.
- Teach children how to swim.
- Teach children to stay away from pool or spa drains.
- Ensure that all pools and spas – both in your backyard and at any public pool you may visit – have compliant drain covers.
- Install proper barriers, covers and alarms on and around your pool and spa.
- Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults.
- You can Pledge these safety steps as your New Year’s Resolution!
Read more about these simple safety steps that save lives in and around pools and spas on the Pool Safely website. Wishing everyone a happy, fun, and safer 2018!